Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Second Doctor's Visit

On Friday I had my second doctor's visit so far. Have I mentioned how much I think my OBGYN is awesome? She nice and young and actually listens to her patients. She usually remembers that I am a biologist and she doesn't have to treat me like an idiot...yep, I already know that a whole lot of mitosis (cell division) is going on in my body...yep, I already know the stats for miscarriages and that they often are not the woman's fault...yep, I already know my blood type because we test that at school.

This time, I brought the husband along with me to meet her and to get a chance to hear the heartbeat. AND THAT WAS KICK ASS! Our little guy was squirming quite a bit so we had a few seconds of panic while she was trying to find the peanut. Then, loud and clear, we heard the quick heart beats for about a minute before the baby moved around again. Aww.... Smiles for everyone.

We left with information about deciding to do a Quad test or not. This is a type of genetic screening test for several of the common genetic disorders such as Down's syndrome. It uses a blood draw from me rather than from the baby directly and just lets us now the possibility for these disorders. We only have a few weeks window to decide about whether or not to test and what to do with the potential outcomes. I foresee deep late night discussions in our future...

2 comments:

Momma Bear said...

If you do not have a family history of genetic problems or are at risk, I would say don't do it. Does your insurance cover this cost? Would it really make a difference if you knew? Big decision on your part...the Good Lord has already made His decision what you will be having and is leaving it up to you and your good judgment to raise this precious bundle. Just ask for His guidance in this matter!

Summer said...

oh mom...
Check out the link I put up for more info on the Quad test. It is just a blood draw from me (not baby) and is only a screen (not definitive). There are no risks involved...and knowledge is power.