The material is a light tan cotton/linen that I had used for curtains for one of the Minnesota apartments. The trim is all bias tape inherited from my aunt's sewing stash.


For this tunic, I traced a 9mth onesie onto paper for a pattern. This was to get the right length for the shoulders and width for the torso. I then used a pair of pants to guess at the length. I wanted it to go to his toes so it would cover the diaper and we wouldn't have to shove shoes on him.
I wanted long sleeves for sun coverage more than for warmth so I guessed on the arm length (a little long). I also left slits up the sides so that he could sit comfortably and he could stay cool if it did get warm. Then, in the back, I cut a slit from the neck opening so I could get the tunic over Tam's big head and tie it closed.
Quick seams up the sides, around the neck, around arm holes. I quickly sewed on the red bias tape so I didn't have to turn any edges :-) I ran out of red, so around the neck on the front is blue. (This is what happens when you don't measure anything).
Finally, I found an awesome dragon design on line and used it for the front of the shirt. I stenciled the dragon on using freezer-paper and fabric paint.
We loved the results!
2 comments:
Way too cute and ever so clever...Very proud of the results.
Momma Bear
That's pretty cool, Summer. Hopefully we'll do as well next summer when it's our turn to drag the twins to the faire for the first time. :-)
Post a Comment