Monday, August 3, 2009

Garage Sale Score

As I have done most Fridays and Saturdays this summer, I went out scouring yard sales for baby/toddler stuff. I do love the thrill of this treasure hunt and I love the feeling of elation when I score something I totally want at a bargain price. I also know I could go overboard with crap, just because "it was such a great deal." And in the past, Brian has made fun of my purchases, especially if it was extremely gaudy. In this light, I set several rules for myself to curtail my impulse buying...

1) 2hr maximum time allowed. This time limit includes all travel time to and from sales. This also means I plan a route and tackle only one section of the city each weekend. (And saves on gas).
2) $20 cash allowed. Yard sales only take cash! If I don't have the dough, I can't go.
3) Has to fit into the car and around the car seat. If I can't toss it in the car, I can't take it. This really limits me from buying furniture we don't have room for in our house.

This weekend was mostly a bust for clothes because the sales I hit had tons of pink, girl stuff. However, my mega-score was a walker/activity board for Tam. (New = $40, 2nd hand = $1) He has just recently figured out how to make things spin (balls, tops, spinners, etc.). This board has several plastic items that spin! Oh, this is his new favorite love for the week. Eventually, when he can stand and walk, he can push the board around too.

Once he was done playing, he rolled around on the floor :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And so the fun begins...rolling!
Momma Bear