Friday, July 24, 2009

Mad Mother Skills

I was just pondering last night if there was a genetic link between the increase in estrogen in moms/moms-to be and super powers. I know that I have developed some mad mothering skills in the past year. Some arrived early with the onset of pregnancy and haven't left. Other super powers have been slowly increasing in strength since the day he was born. Who knows...maybe by the time I'm ready to do this birthing thing again I might be able to fly!

Hearing increase - It is just like the national geographic channel...All's quiet on the African plains; the animals are peacefully grazing. Then...a random twig gently snaps, or a bird shifts his weight in his nest, or an ant sneezes. All heads come up and turn toward the sound. Danger? Warning? And they are off and running away. Yep. It seems like I can freakin' hear Everything! Every little rustle of the kiddo I seem to hear from several rooms away. Is he ok? Is he waking up? Is he crying? Is it time to run to his side?

Wicked fast reflexes - Tam has increased in his ability to sit un-aided in the past week. However, he still wobbles. When he looks like he is wobbling too much and heading for a face-plant, I usually can reach out and catch him. There are times when my hands fly into action even without my brain being involved, especially if it involves Tam's safety.

Delicate nose - Another sense that has become way more sensitive. Odors are still really strong for me (this started way back last year). Good or bad, I seem to notice them more now...especially wet diaper smells :-)

Lack of stomach for the gross - I'm a scientist and scientists don't find most things in life gross or icky. I could usually watch the occasional gory/ slasher movie and find it silly but not sickening. Blood, guts, puke, bio-hazard, zombies, axe-men, etc. no problem for me. Now, and this is new, my stomach has become a wee bit more delicate. A fellow scientist was recalling his latest street fighting match and describing the blood, and the punches, and the blood...blood....blood.... and I freakin' had to leave the conversation! My mind went mental with the picture of the fight and my stomach revolted at the scene. What? This is a new power I don't particularly like.

Teary-eyed at the thought of Tam growing-up - Yeah, the ol' tear ducts are in cahoots with my stomach. I now find myself more apt to cry at something sappy or tender moments, especially if they involve family or mom & sons. We went and saw the latest Harry Potter movie. Tight at the beginning of the flick, I began to think about Tam as a teenager and the tears started to well. Sheesh. I'm becoming a mushy mom too? Another trait that I haven't quite learned to deal with yet.

Now I haven't quite developed my Eyes in the back of my head, but they are on order!

2 comments:

Nathaniel said...

Hanna has already gotten the Wolverine-like sense of smell, and other new or soon-to-be mothers I know also have this enhanced power of perception.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to motherhood, my dear...wait until his teen years and you find yourself sleeping soundly (or so you think) in bed at night and immediately wake up when he turns the doorknob downstairs coming home from a football game, date or whatever! AND you worry all the time even after he is on his own, married or living away from home. You wouldn't be a good mother if you didn't have all these senses God has given you due to childbirth!
Momma Bear