We had our spring conference with Tamlin's teacher. Overall, we have been so pleased with the school, his teacher, and how well he has been doing. I just figure that she would alert me if Tam was doing poorly in any subject or needed extra help or was causing problems.
Well, Tam's doing stellar. His teacher said he is an awesome little boy, very nice, very polite, and friends with everyone.
He's reading and doing math in the 86/89th percentiles and thirsty for more and more academic challenges.
We were like, yep. We all read at home and we love watching the Electric Company on TV, the new version..."Hey, you guys!"
Tam's gone from knowing his letters/sounds and a handful of sight words to fully reading level "C" books, which from the example, means he can read short sentences on a page that may lack many picture clues. He's reading level 1 books fairly easily at home, especially if it is a book about superheroes or about pokemon. His math skills are rockin' too. He's easily picked up simple addition and subtraction for numbers 1-20. He counts by 2, 5, 10s, 100s, and loves it.
I remember going to Kindergarden and learning my letters with the letter people. I also remember finishing Kindergarden and being really upset that they hadn't taught us how to read! Now, here's my kid reading like a champ and my 3 year old trying his darnest to learn to catch up with older brother.Maybe this summer we'll start on some classic books...like the Hobbit.
3 comments:
Awesome; I've always assumed you and Brian were doing things right, but external validation is nice.
As to books, I've been reading "The Hobbit" out loud to the twins for a while now -- they are really digging it, even if they don't always completely understand everything that's going on. I'm excited for more books to share with them -- Susan Cooper's "Dark is Rising" series, the "Dealing with Dragons" books, the Harry Potter series, Earthsea . . . and of course Discworld, once they get a bit older. So many wonderful books in the world!
And as far as the M:tG image, I'm quite convinced that the 100s of hours and dollars spent on building, playing, rebuilding, replaying, and rebuilding decks absolutely kept a bunch of us out of trouble in college. :-) Might not have been the best for my GPA at the time, however. :-)
We play with our current neighbor and Brian's co-workers. Cool thing is that brian traded a bunch of our old doubles and land for Pokemon cards for tam!
I'm jealous -- I had a D&D game going, but even once a month was apparently too optimistic with a group that ranges from students to retirees, and almost everyone has children.
And man, I played M:tG a while back at a party or wedding or something, and it's not even close to the game I remember anymore. Double-sided cards? Artifacts that remain even when the creature is killed? Cards with two different cards on them? Left me find my cane to shake at these darn kids on my lawn . . . :-)
Post a Comment