Monday, August 19, 2013

Family visits

This past weekend Nana Margie and Papa John visited (Brian's mom and step-dad).  They adored the only 2.5 hour drive instead of 7 hours. They came in on Friday and left Sunday afternoon.  I know our house is a little smaller here, but the weather was so nice we spent much of the time outdoors.

Tam spent much of the visit playing racing games with his Papa on the Wii.  I think Papa quite enjoyed it too.  They called each other "racing buddies."  Jude spent time enjoying all the attention and love from everyone.  I know I liked just having family here to hang out with and just share are fun little town with. 

Our friend Tom and his family came in on Saturday too...but they brought their own pop-up trailer to sleep in :-)  It was a bit of chaos, but a good chaos.




We walked to the beach down the road several times.  The waves were rough on Friday and Saturday, but calmed down greatly by Sunday morning.  The water was mostly clear and rather warm = great for wading and swimming.  With the wave action, our nearby beach was more rock than beach...but there was lots of driftwood for the picking.  The waves scared off any swimming, but we did have fun combing the beach for wood, beach glass, cool rocks, and treasure.  Both boys are fairly fascinated with rocks and create large piles of them (I have to limit how many can come home).  Tom collected drift wood for a decorating project for his house.  John was selected several sea bricks to become candle holders and Margie found some beach glass.


Tam insisted on wearing his goggles. 




However, on Sunday we went to the town beach and the water was much calmer.  Lots of swimming and splashing was done by the kiddos.  I couldn't believe how much Jude LOVED the water.  He waded right in without any prompting except to follow his brother.  And he kept on wading...until the water was right under his chin!  We all kept a very close eye on him, since it seems his fear of water has dissipated.  He even fell once or twice and pushed himself right back up off the bottom of the Lake.  We so need to get him lessons soon.

   



Kick, Kick, Kick, Jude!






Saturday night we roasted marshmellows over the grill and played with sparklers.  I wasn't even sure the sparklers would light since they were left from a mega-pack I bought way back in Minnesota in 2003.  The kiddos quite enjoyed staying up until dark, sugary marshmellows, and fireworks :-)



We did spend time at the farmer's market and showing off our quaint little town.  Tam did a good job pointing out the candy shop.  Jude did fairly well with an outing in underwear (potty-training success)...Here I'm jetting across the road to the bathrooms with the little guy.

We also insisted on getting ice cream and malts at the soda fountain...I think Tamlin got most of his into his mouth and not all over it.

 

The kids also showed off the swings in the park and the best places to watch the boats come in and out of the channel.  Brian and I had fun of dreaming of the day we could own one of the boats to cruise around the lake in :-)





No comments: