With the thought that I am done having kids, I was ready to sell off all the little tyke clothes I had stored in plastic totes. I first journeyed into this endevour of selling old clothes last fall, at the Just Between Friends sale...which is a consignment sale. I had to tag and price all the clothes, pay a fee, and then leave them at the sale for others to buy. The upside was I didn't have to sit there at a booth; the downside was that I only got 65% of every sale.
After the new year, I paid a small fee to sell at another mom sale, but this one had me manning the booth. I enlisted my sister to help out, with the promise of a great opportunity to buy new used clothes for her step-daughter. It took me a few nights to go through 5 totes of clothes, sized 0 to 24months, and price everything. I kept things priced cheap...at numbers I would buy them for at a sale. I then tackled 4 more totes of toys for babes. Yep...9 totes, a stroller/ carseat, two racetracks, and a beanbag chair were the total amount of items I was willing to sell off to other moms. And, yes, I did keep a few "special" pieces that I just couldn't part with because of the memories they held, but I tried to keep this number small.
I was pleasantly pleased with how quickly the drop-off and set-up went. There were lots of helpers around to help schlep material from cars to tables. This was great, as I left Shelly at our house with the wee ones and Brian was at work. My table was in the back, but at the end of a row, which allowed us a bit more room. My stuff quickly filled an 8 foot table and a 3 foot card table, with a couple bins of toys beneath. Shelly helped to man the booth during the selling time...interspersed with her going off to check out the bargains herself.
Four hours later, the sale was done, and I had sold off at least half of my stuff. Only 4 totes, the stroller, and the racetracks returned with us! Additionally, I had a boxful of cash to stash away. Plus, I didn't immediately buy things at the sale...except a set of geo trax (at an excellent bargain) and a few clothes.
Now, I have still have these totes of stuff and I must decide if I want to have another go at it. I wonder if I can entice the Sister to visit one more time in April for the really large Mom sale...and maybe persuade another mom to go in on the booth price with me too. We'll see, but I am exceptionally glad to have emptied five totes of stuff :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment