Saturday, November 26, 2011

Tamlin's birthday thoughts

Tamlin's turned 3 years old! Wow. He has gotten so big so fast and I scarce can believe he's already three. This is a great age where he has his own opinions and observations and is not afraid to share them with anyone who will listen.

We had a birthday party for our little man on the weekend before Thanksgiving. It was mostly a celebration where his friends can come over, chat, play, and eat cake and home-made chili. The guest roster included friends from my school, kid friends he often plays with, and my sister and her new family. I tried hard to keep it simple with a four step plan or gathering / dancing, gifts, lunch, playing, cake.

Of course, Tamlin wanted a car theme, again. He got to help pick out the birthday cake (with a race car topper). I decorated with balloons, streamers, and car decorations. I hung a set of streamers at the entryway at the bottom of the stairs so Tam saw these immediately when he came down on his birthday morning. This elicited an excited "Wooowwww!" from him that warmed my heart.

All the toys were hits. His cousin Ciearra "helped" quite a bit with the actual opening of the gifts, but he didn't seem to mind. Tamlin loved running around and interacting with everyone.
I think maybe his geotrax train from Nana and Papa might have been his favorite toy :-)

The cake was great. It was totally worth the money to pay the store to make and decorate the cake in such a fantastic fashion. Tam thought it was AWESOME. He did a great job at trying to keep his fingers out of the frosting until after we had sung him the birthday song, but I could see this was definitely a hard thing for a newly 3 year old to do. I made sure to have the number candle for him, since I had always wanted these when I was little. The cake had a ton of blue frosting which resulted in many little blue mouths and tongues. Extremely silly.

Overall, the party went well and everyone seem to have a great time. Afterwards, I made sure that Tamlin helped with writing the thank you cards to everyone. He "wrote" thank you with pen and stamped all over them. Good boy.

No comments: