Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Jude's tummy troubles

Since the beginning, Jude has been a baby in which we could here his food coming back up his throat (actual spit up only occurred sometimes). Additionally, he has absolutely hated being on his back after the 2 week of life. These issues plus lots of gas and long crying fits kept getting worse and worse. Sometimes I just knew that he was in pain from the regurgitated stomach acid or from trying to burp and just having problems trying to do so. It was enough to make a mom pull her hair out in frustration. Even now, I recall sleeping with him curled up on his stomach on my chest throughout the night to help with his pain.

At his 2 month doctor appointment, it was concluded that silent reflux was the culprit of all these tummy troubles. The doc prescribed his baby heartburn medicine and recommended for me to lay off dairy foods and other spicy foods to see if it would help the poor little one.

Here we are at 3 months, and I can honestly say that it is much, much better. I only sometimes here the rumbling in his tummy. And the crying jags of pain have nearly ceased. Also, with him only eating once at 4am, we have less problems with late night gas and sleeping. Now, I may or may not need to recline in the chair and doze with him on my chest in the wee hours of the morning. All of this means that Jude is more rested, in less pain, and much happier. We are seeing more and more grins during the day and hearing more coos of contentment.

I am very thankful that he is doing better...but I am already missing the soft closeness of him snuggling with me at 5am. Just this past week I was holding him this way before everyone else was awake and I just cherished the moments...his wonderfully chubby arms and legs, his pleasent baby heft fitting snugly in my arms, his distinct sweet baby smell, the soft tickle of his hair under my chin, and his warm love and complete trust flowing over me. I love him so much!

No comments: