Sunday, April 11, 2010

Clothing score for the weekend

I just switched over kiddo's clothes from 18months to 24month sizes. The 18m were a tad too small; Tam's big head wasn't fitting through the tops and the pants were becoming high-waders circa "Revenge of the Nerds". However, with this size jump, these new larger clothes are, well, BIG, with some much more so than others, depending on the brand. In the end, most of this size has room for a bit of growth over the next months. People warned me they grow fast...

I according to the latest edition of Reader's Digest, I'm frugal and NOT a tightwad. Frugal being that I enjoy saving money/getting a deal/not paying retail. Tightwad equating to one who takes it too the extreme, such as reusing toothpicks and rationing toilet paper. So, how does a frugal mom keep up with a growing boy? I certainly don't get this many new clothes every 3 months! Well, I had been stocking up on 24m/2T sizes at the mom2mom sales around here this winter. Additionally, I am looking forward to the spring season of yard sales that are just beginning to start. This weekend, I just couldn't pass up a killer sale at the commercial store, Babies-R-Us. Their promo was an additional 25% of clothes that fit in their reusable canvas bag. Score.

I hit the shop right after opening when there wasn't many other parents (or parents to be) present yet. I found a good amount of clothes for Tam for this summer, as well as a few outfits in 3T and 4T sizes for the future. Plus a few blank shirts that I plan to personalize with freezer-paper stenciling. With BRU clearance sales AND the 25% deal, I walked with a bag full of clothes for $50...roughly $3.50 per item. Bargain, since this is just a smidge more than I usually pay for used clothes. Now, I think I might be set with keeping Tam clothed for the next few months. Tam's favorite? I red t-shirt with McQueen from Cars movie on the front.

The final deal for the day was that Babies-R-Us sells 7th generation all purpose cleaner. This company is supposedly a green company that utilizes thyme and lemongrass to combat bacteria instead of harsher chemicals. Earlier this year, I tested this product in our microbiology lab to see if their 99.9% bacterial killing claims held true. Results of the testing was that even at 50% concentration, 7th generation killed E.coli and S. aureus 100% of the time. Excellent. The bargain was that they were selling the bottles at buy one, get one 50% off. Two bottles that I can dilute down to 4 bottles, means that I got a huge discount! One bottle for each of the kitchen, 2 bathrooms, and kiddo's room. Ah...it is the little things in life that make me smile.

3 comments:

Nathaniel said...

I love the fact that you took the stuff into your lab for testing, Summer. Go science!

Hanna said...

What Dane said!

Also, I should really buy more environmentally friendly cleaning products. It's an area where I'm really bad.

Summer said...

I was really curious if thymol (from thyme) really could kill bacteria. Works as good as lysol.