It has (briefly) warmed up in temperature here in our corner of the snowy world. This meant that all weekend the dirty snow was melting all around the city. This has led to a couple of new problems in our house.
One of our outside walls is leaking water into the basement. Nothing major, but a slow steady seeping wet mess leaking out through the bottom of the drywall. With the melting snow, this became a slightly larger seeping wet mess, but still nothing that a few towels couldn't mop up over the course of a night. We've added fixing this to the list of things to do when the sun finally shines again here.
The second minor problem came later in the evening. Brian and I were just cozying up to watch "Legend of the Seeker" on TV when we heard a large CRASH. Dear Gosh...I haven't jumped that high in a long time. Now, we live in a quiet neighborhood and we know our neighbors, and I don't expect any burglary action while sitting in the house. Yet I can definitely say that my adrenaline started pumping with this un-expected noise. We first check Tam...he's fine and didn't even wake. We check the basement...nothing had fallen and no walls had collapsed. We check the garage...again, nothing had fallen and all windows and doors are intact. I look outside and remember all the dripping icicles from earlier that day. Hmmm...We come to the conclusion that snow or ice must have slipped off the roof and hit the side of the house which caused the commotion. I then ask Brian to go out and check the perimeter (he being the big burly man of the house). We then discover that not only had ice fallen from the roof, but it had dislodged a power line running from our house to the pole across the street. Nothing was disconnected, but the power line was hanging dangerously low so that people or cars couldn't pass beneath it. We concluded that it must be our Internet/cable line based on what boxes it was running from and to. Now who to call about this? Not AT&T who owns the wire since they aren't taking calls this late. I finally just called the electric company since I knew they had an emergency line. An hour later, a gentleman arrived heaved up the line, and temporarily attached it to the house.
Sheesh. It is always something to keep you on your toes.
No comments:
Post a Comment