I first tackled re-purposing several of Tam's shirts. Summer ended ubruptly here, and the cold weather moved in quickly. This meant that it was too chilly for our goober to wear a handful of his 12mth T-shirts. Plus, one of these shirts was his favorite...it lights up :-)
What's a frugal mom to do?
Well, add long sleeves, of course! I found a great tutorial from a fellow mom to do just this (From Make It and Love it blog). I used a couple of my old t-shirts that were in the Goodwill pile for the sleeves, because this meant I didn't have to hem anything. (I hate hemming and go to great lengths to avoid it). Snip, snip, zip, zip...and I have three winter-ready shirts for Tam :-)
I told Brian that his shirts might be next.
My second project was to try a hand at applique. I had read about this technique on line and loved some of the cute clothes others had mad for their little dudes. Could this fun sewing project be just a quick and fun as stenciling?
Oh, yeah!
I whipped up these two shirts in 30minutes. They started as plain, long-sleeve white shirts. Then, I appliqued the tie pattern on and finished it off with a straight-stitch on the machine. I figured Tam needed a "dress-shirt" for his up-coming birthday :-) A little-preppy, but still pretty funky. I may even look for more hippy-type fabric to do one more. Love them! I got the pattern and tutorial from yet another mom blog (Crap I've Made). I now need to buy a pack of onesies so I can applique cool things on them too. I'm thinking cute animals, DNA double helix, and cars :-)
Lastly before heading up to bed, I attempted another pair of shoes for Goober-head. He has started to wear the toes in his last pair. Well, he's had them over a month now, so that's ok. The great thing about sewing his shoes is that they really cost only pennies so I don't mind that he gets a new pair so frequently. I've got some great fun fabric to try, but wanted to do the "flames" first.
How did I have time for this all? It's fall break, and I have a week off from school and grading papers :-)
3 comments:
the shirts look super cute! u should put them on fb so i can click on them and seem them better.
You're just like your Aunt Brenda. Always being very creative, improvising and being very crafty. The stuff looks great. Send pics when Tam is modeling them
Hi Summer, You sure make us Silvii proud. Keep up all your good work. Love, Aunt Laura
Post a Comment