Friday, July 10, 2009

Cruising in the Crib

Up until a few weeks ago Tam slept, well, like a baby...a "dead to the world" baby. He barely moved in the night and I was confident that he wasn't tangling himself in the blankets or getting caught in the slats of his crib. He always slept on his back, as now is thought to be the safest position for little ones.

He's become more mobile in his semi-sleep mode. Maybe a pre-cursor to crawling?

And he is NOT this wiggly outside of the crib on the floor or in the baby cage (playpen). Now when I put him down to sleep at night, I'm not sure what way he'll be facing in a few hours. All bets are off for how he'll be positioned by morning! I may put him to sleep on his back, but within moments, he rolls over onto his side. Or he stays on his back but launches his feet straight up into the air. I've seen him in the morning like this, or even with a foot (or two) sticking straight out the sides of the crib. Or even all the way flipped over on his belly and giggling at his accomplishment.

So now I'm a little more paranoid about him. He sleeps mostly in a sleep sack for warmth, but still basically demands a knitted blanket as well. He usually snuggles up with a little soft blankey-rabbit and then pulls the knitted blanket over his head. Yep, he likes the blanket over his head! Silly baby. It doesn't seem to be for warmth, but for pulling over his head and sticking his fingers through the holes.

I know that I am not a restless sleeper, so I don't think this is an inheritable trait...just him "stretching" his legs in his sleep :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He is probably dreaming of walking and moving about and thus in his sleep his body does it too. All too soon he will be trying the same maneuvers when awake...be prepared as I have told you...baby-proof the house and get the baby gates ready! Once he finds he can walk, crawl or roll there will be no stopping him! Lucky you!
Momma Bear