Sunday, June 28, 2009

Oh the beautiful mess of finger foods :-)

I'm expanded Tam's food knowledge from puree goop to finger foods. He's been munching on Gerber "star puffs" for a few weeks now. These are puffed grains that virtually melt in the mouth. I throw a few puffs on the high-chair tray to try to occupy him (read take his mind off of how hungry he is) while I'm preparing his real food and bottle. He fairly quickly figured out how to pick up the little grains...mostly with all of his fingers. Then, he would move the fist of food to his mouth, but, NOT open his fingers! It was so cute to watch. He seemed so proud that he was "eating" when in reality nothing was getting into the pie hole. It wasn't until this past week he has figured out how to let go of the grains from his hand and deposit them into his mouth. Brilliant!

Once I saw this, I thought to have him try at other real food. I sliced up a banana for our lunch, placed the dish of diced fruit in front of him, and let him have at it...

I'm pretty sure some of the banana did get into the mouth and eventually into the stomach :-)
I loved to watch him grab at the slippery fruit and then just mash it in his fist.

We'll try some more with crackers and apples soon.

2 comments:

Brandi said...

I loved it when the kids were discovering food. I hated feeding them the baby food, and as soon as they could eat real food, just smushed, I let em have it. It resulted in my kids eating a lot of foods that my friends wouldn't dare let their kids have. But I don't have picky eaters either, and I think it is because I give them a chance to try anything and everything.

Alexis AKA MOM said...

How cute I love the stage. Super sweet pictures. Thanks for sharing and stopping by my giveaway :).