Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Trying my hand at a yard sale

It's finally nice outside and so the garage sale signs have started to appear around town.  'Tis the season for bargains :-)  Due to budget constraints I totally limit myself to about $10-15 a weekend, one region of the city, and ONLY stuff for Tam.  This way I'm way less likely to come home with some hideous object (art piece) that I got for a steal and Brian just wants to throw back away.  Last weekend was mostly a bust on the little boy clothes but I did get an older exersaucer for $8.  I had Tam "try it out" at the sale and he was all happy squeals.  It is easier to drag around the house from upstairs to downstairs.  It is also working out really well to drag outside to the yard to keep Tam occupied and safe while we are doing garden work.  It was definitely worth it.  

On the flip side, I have decided to try my luck at hosting a yard sale at the end of the month.  Now that we finally have a yard, we can give this a go.  
Mostly, I had Brian trim down the book / CD / video collections to something more manageable.  In the end, I think Brian could only let about 6 books go of his. However, good thing I wasn't quite as clingy with my reads.  We also have quite a few videos that we had bought but turn out not to be our favs.  Then, there is some of the baby clothes.  These are the outfits that I didn't like for some reason, such as yellow in color (Tam looks sickly), buttons in the back (what a pain!), or only snaps at the crotch (ditto on the pain with dressing).

Once the decision was made, I spread the word.  I think the sister and mom have some things to bring in and sell.  And, I have a co-worker that thinks she has some stuff as well.  Hope it goes well and hope we turn a buck or two.

No comments: