Monday, December 29, 2008

#2 What we didn't know before baby

We are definitely learning that with a young baby all you tend to think about is the baby's sleeping,  eating, and pooping habits.  What did we discuss before?  

I learned last week that what the mom eats a ton of . . . the baby is also eating via the momma milk.  Yeah, as a scientist I knew this, but a particular episode brought the idea home.  I did a little last minute Christmas shopping on Monday last week.  While in line, I had the impulse to buy a big bag of cherry twizzlers.  Oh I know they are pure sugar and plastic, but taste so good when you have a craving for them.  Well, once home, I did share the twizzlers with Brian, but pretty much finished the entire bag of them in the next 24hours.  And they were very good.   Now a breast-fed baby's poo is yellowish because of the milk he's getting.  As parents, we aren't to freak out until it is red or black (for blood).  After my plastic-sugar goodness eating binge, lo - and -behold, Tam's poo was an amazing shade of grass green.  What?!  Yep...too much sugar in the milk from mom.  Don't worry, it went back to normal after 2 diapers.  I can't say I won't eat twizzlers again but I will try to control myself and not gobble them all at once!  Sheesh.

4 comments:

Nathaniel said...

I'd make fun of your for all of your baby poop conversations, but I'm quite certain I'll be doing the same thing when it comes my time. Evolution is a difficult thing to fight.

Though I've *never* understood how you could eat Twizzlers. It's like chewing on a plastic cable.

James said...

A baby deer is a fawn. Baby lions, tigers, and bears are cubs. A baby canine is a pup. What's a baby moose?

Hanna said...

James, I had to look it up, but I wasn't rewarded for my curiosity:

Baby moose are calves, which is pretty lame and applies to most ungulates -- I'm not sure why deer/fawns get a special word.

James said...

HANNA FTW!
Fawns gets their own name because (a) they are cuter and (b) they have a movement that is more graceful and flolicking than any other hoofed mammals (yes, I know what an ungulate is).

Ungulate. The very name makes one think of a slow, easy, I-can-do-this-all-day, ka-THUMP ka-THUMP, kind of gait. Mrs. Teasdale, in a dress that made her resemble Clarabelle Cow, slowly ungulated across the ballroom towards the bar.