Proud daddy Brian got to cut his cord and then help with his washing up. They checked his vitals, which all looked good, got his length and weight, diapered and bundled him up tightly. The little bugger wasn't so little, weighing in at 9lbs and 3.7oz. As soon as we all were presentable, Shelly and Dale came back in the room to admire the results. And then, more photographs all around. I know I was looking great but luckily, most of them were of Tam. I was pretty zonked by now and hungry. And then as the drugs stopped, and I got to shaking pretty badly, so I was glad that everyone else wanted to hold the baby for awhile.
Eventually, everyone calmed down, the folks left for the evening, and Brian, Tam, and I went upstairs to a typical hospital room for the night. Tam was kept in a hospital bassinet right in our room for nearly all the time. This way we could be with him, and I could begin feeding him. Brian slept with us too on an uber-hard cot. The night went pretty well, except waking every time he cooed or cried. I felt like I had been in a 10 round boxing match with aches and pains in lots of odd places. It took another couple of hours until the rest of the epidural wore off and I could walk again. I was in the hospital room for about 36 hours post-delivery, and I was very glad when I was released and got to come home to be with Brian and Tam by ourselves. One big happy family :-)
2 comments:
Congrats Summer and Guido! S- I love that you are willing to share the details of your labor story! Maybe it's just cause I've been there myself so often, but I could just imagine what it was like! (I had pitocin with my last 3) Hope Brian's nipple / chest hair heals quickly. We'll be watching to hear how things are going from here, it has just begun!
if you ever want to chat with another momma who is in the trenches with ya, give me a call! I'd love to hear from you anyway!
Thanks for the props :-) Life here has been going well and Tam is a pretty great little guy! I may just take you up on the phone one of these days though...
Post a Comment