Tuesday, September 23, 2008

students, baby, and potential

So here I sit watching my students take their first exam for the course from me. It is is interesting how looking out at the 45 of them is kind of like thinking about our little baby. All these students have the potential still to apply themselves and reach their biology goals, whether that is medical school or research or teaching. I know while looking at them that not everyone will succeed, not everyone has the drive, not everyone has the knowledge to eventually accomplish their first dreams. And I know that this exam might dissuade a handful of them from biology for good!
Our little one is similar to this...Currently he is ALL potential. What will he be like? How will his personality develop? Will he be interested in science? Will we be able try help him pursue his dreams? Will he have the drive? I know that Brian and I are hoping for the best!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You look great, no doubt about it! And I don't believe that baby is only 4 pounds, more like 5-6 pounds. Your sister was born at 32 weeks and weighed 6 lbs 12 ounces! You were 3 weeks early and weighed 8 lbs 12 ounces. You look just like I did!
:)Momma Bear